Monday, August 3, 2009

Wenger: Vieira To Arsenal A Possibility I Will Consider

The Frenchman has not ruled out bringing the former midfielder back to north London।

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted that a move to sign Patrick Vieira is still something he is considering, although he reiterated that he would not be rushed into any hasty transfer deals after his team clinched the Emirates Cup today with a 3-0 win over Scottish champions Rangers."I have two games to think about and after the weekend we have Monday off and I will now think about the whole squad. Two weeks ago, I did not know if we would have Eduardo [Da Silva] or not, or [Tomas] Rosicky. They both look to be completely back, so that makes the squad quite big," he told the club's official website after the game today.
"Patrick is a great player and I have not considered it yet to bring him back. It is a possibility that I have to think about. It is not sure he will decide to join us if I decide to try and make him come.
"There is a lot to think about. I have no personal problem with Patrick Vieira. I have a huge respect for him and we have good relations."We don’t make any comment about the transfers. If we sign someone we will come out with it. I read in the newspapers that I have called him and called him, I go for so much, but I never speak about that because you have to accept that it might disturb the player, it might disturb the club. If transfers don’t happen you have an unhappy player so I keep it as quiet as possible."Bringing back players to former clubs is not something Wenger is fond of doing, but admitted that he might be about the make an exception, adding, "It is a general policy I have [not to do it] but I never said I would not do it. Usually I don’t do it, I’m not a big fan of that because I feel once the players have gone they have gone."Young midfielder Jack Wilshere followed his stellar performance on Saturday against Atletico de Madrid with another fine display against Rangers, bagging a brace of goals. Observers have already begun to heap plaudits on the youngster's shoulders, but Wenger insists that patience is very much the order of the day when it comes to the teenager's talents."I don’t know how much he will play. I sped him up. I put him at 16 years of age in the dressing room and gave him a chance to practice everyday with the first-team players," the Frenchman continued."If I had taken him out of the youth team now you would not have seen what you have seen today. That means he has benefited a lot from special treatment and an acceleration of his education because he plays for one year with the first team. "But how many games? I don’t know. The only problem in England is knowing the impatience of the people is that it will be difficult to keep the right pace in his progress."Could he play the whole Premier League campaign? Certainly not. He is physically strong because he has a strong body, Jack. It’s difficult to predict."Let's be calm and quiet. There is still a year to go to the World Cup, and let's see how he improves, is consistent. Let's not make stars in just two games. You have to respect the development of the players. "Before it was different, you had to play four or five years well and then somebody says ‘maybe he can play for the national team’. Now everybody is quick because everybody sees everything."

1 comment: